5 Ways To Stay In Bali For More Than 30 Days


That’s it! You’ve been  in love with Bali since your first tour and now you that you are ready to extend, explore and enjoy, the meager 30 days granted on arrival just won’t cut it anymore.

Good news, it is indeed possible to prolong your stay! But, there is a couple of buts:

  • The available options are limited
  • It might get a bit complicated
  • A number of shady agents is always ready to put your stay at risk

Don’t worry though, here’s a little guide to help you untangle the information and keep you from a potential bad surprise or two.


1) 60 Days Tourist Visa

Your simplest gateway to prolonging your stay in Bali, the 60 Days Tourist Visa can be obtained prior to your travel, at the nearest Indonesian Embassy. You get the stamp, the visa will stay valid for 90 days prior entry.

What you need to know:

  • 60 days tourist visa cannot be extended
  • 60 days tourist visa cannot be converted into another visa


What you need to prepare:

  • A passport valid for at least 12 months starting for the application date
  • 3 blank pages on your passport
  • 2 passport photos
  • A photocopy of the first page of your passport
  • Money
  • 3 days of patience


2) Visa On Arrival 30 Days Extension

The only way to extend your stay if you came here with a visa on arrival. Not that costly, and much more efficient than having to fly to Singapore or Malaysia for a visa run., you can apply for an extension at the nearest immigration office. They require a little more legwork than your run-off-the-mill VOA, but it’s worth it!

What you need to know:

  • Visa on arrival can only be extended once, it’s an official rule and not a guideline.
  • Be careful stating your address when you apply, especially if you don’t stay at an hotel, the immigration office might want to check.
  • Just to be sure, apply at least a week in advance


What you need to prepare:

  • A passport valid for at least 6 months starting for the application date
  • A sponsor providing a sponsorship letter and a copy of their ID card (KTP), any Indonesian can become your sponsor.
  • Money
  • 4 days of patience


3) Social Visa (SosBud)

Targeted at visitors wishing to stay up to 6 months in Indonesia for a non-business and non-touristic purpose, they are the ‘other’ category. If they necessitate the help of a sponsor, said sponsor doesn’t always have to be Indonesian (a foreigner with a work permit or will do).

Nonetheless, beware, Social Budaya visa are misleading documents and, if their scope is misunderstood, they can lead to some problems.

What you need to know:

  • Social visa are not work permits, nor ‘special arrangement’, be very careful with that since working with a SosBud can have dire consequences (deportation, jail).
  • Social visa are obtained at the Indonesian Embassy and have to be renewed in Indonesia ever 30 days
  • Social visa will require a registration address and can only be renewed in the area of registration
  • Applications, as well as extension can be refused, you can read more about it here


What you need to prepare:

  • A passport valid for at least 12 months starting for the application date
  • A sponsor providing a sponsorship letter,  a copy of their ID (KTP or KITAS), family register (Kartu Keluarga) and bank account statement.
  • Money
  • 2 passport photos
  • A photocopy of your passport
  • 1 days of patience every month after the first 60 days


4) Retirement Visa

Are you 55 years old or over? Congratulation, here’s your chance to spend 5 years or more in Bali without having to leave the country. Retirement visa come with many other advantages, fiscal and otherwise, but you will first have to prove you have enough resources to stay in Indonesia on your own without facing monetary difficulties. We strongly recommend to consult with a seasoned lawyer or immigration professional before applying.

What you need to know:

  • The process to acquire a retirement visa isn’t simple, arm yourself with patience
  • Retirement visa won’t allow you to work in Indonesia
  • Retirement visa can be converted into permanent stay permit
  • It is compulsory to employ a house worker in order to obtain a retirement visa


What you need to prepare:

  • Copy of your passport (valid min 18 months).
  • Proof of holding a pension or deposit bank statement.
  • Health insurance and life insurance.
  • Curriculum vitae.
  • Proof that you will rent or own a place in Indonesia (Minimum USD300/month)
  • Statement letter that you will employ an Indonesian while your stay in Bali.
  • Passport photos ( 4cm x6cm =6pcs, 3cm x 4cm =6pcs, 2cm x 3cm =6pcs)


5) Particular Case: the Business Visa

Returning to Bali for business purpose? Great, there are worse place to conduct a deal! The Business Visa is what you will need. Careful though, it has its limitations and application for long term stays are very strict. These visa are a particular case since they do not allow you to work, but still give you enough freedom of movement to tour the island on your time off 🙂
Allowing you to stay in the country for up to 12 months, Business Visa (Bisnis Kunjungan) requires that a company sponsors you and apply for you before you arrive. You will then have to get the sticker at the nearest Indonesian Embassy.

What you need to know:

  • Business visa really are meant for business. Your application might be refused if it doesn’t fit this scope.
  • If your sponsor is a newly created company or a travel agency, the process might take quite a long time.
  • Business visa are not work permits, and will not allow you to receive a salary or any kind of employment.
    They will  only allow you to conduct deals, conferences and a wide range of business activities in which you won’t produce goods or services in a sustained way.
  • Business Visa are often proposed as workarounds in many situations – prefer going by the book to avoid both complications in your stay.


What you need to prepare:

From You

  • Passport with a minimum validity of 6 months from the proposed date of entry into Indonesia.
  • One passport photo

From Your Sponsoring Business:

  • Two supporting letters, one each from the applicant’s company and sponsor/counterpart in Indonesia, setting out the reason and duration of the proposed visit, and responsibility for incurred costs.
  • Copy of written approval from the Immigration Office in Jakarta if the duration of business is longer than 60 days.
  • Money


A Word About the Work Permit (KITAS and IMTA)

Obtaining a KITAS in order to extend your holidays might be suggested… but it would be a complete overkill. It is true that a KITAS can allow you to stay up to 12 months and can be renewed up to 4 times, but the requirements are extremely heavy for both the applicant and the employer.
If you’re looking for work in Indonesia though, this is the ticket! (and actually the only way).


More tips!

  • Never attempts to bribe an Immigration Officer. Despite all the stories you can read on the Internet, attempting to bribe is your best way to instant return to your home country (at best).
  • If you wish to use an agent, prefer well established agencies and lawyers.
  • If you hear “special for you”, “secret methods” or “inside arrangement” from a potential agent… run. If there are indeed practices to make things easier and faster, they are mostly illegal and can get you in real trouble.
  • Some embassies will ask you for bank statements and return tickets when applying for a visa. Enquire beforehand to avoid a costly surprise 🙂
  • Always carry your passport with you, it’s compulsory. If you prefer keeping it safe somewhere, a laminated photocopy of the first page and the page were your visa is stamped might do the trick.


There! You now know how to stay more than 30 days in Bali.



Related Posts